Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Bengaluru guy shares inspiring IIT-grad Uber cab driver's story on Facebook

Source: YAHOO


Social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc., are excellent sources of untold inspirational stories. Many-a-time we've read people sharing stories of unsung heroes they've met on the road, while travelling or at the coffee shop. These stories have then gone on to inspire many or at least leave many moist-eyed. One such story that was recently shared by a Facebook user was that of his Uber cab driver, which has subsequently gone viral.
On July 2, Facebook user Shrikant Singh from Bengaluru posted a long post about the Uber cab driver who had driven him home the previous night, calling him "one of the most inspiring men I have ever met". The said driver, Anandji, spoke in fluent English and was well-versed with the plague of the existing "e-commerce bubble". Surprised at his cab driver's knowledge base, Singh asked: "Sir, what's your deal.. You don't seem to be the average uber driver".
This was how Anandji replied:
"Anandji: 'Ohh I am an IIT K graduate from 1986. I was working out of the US and India for the past 30 years and I gave it all up to do my own entrepreneurial stuff. I now have 50 cars plying with Uber and I have a couple of strawberry farms in Mysore'
Me: 'So then why are you yourself driving this car around'
Anandji :' Ohh this car met with an accident a few days back and my uber driver died. His family is too proud to take money, so I figured the only way I can help is to drive the car on his behalf and let the income from Uber keep flowing. And I feel happy doing this'."
No surprise that this emotional and inspiring story moved Singh, who admitted to "saying I cried a little".
Here's the full text of the post:
"While returning late from office yesterday, I had an encounter with one of the most inspiring men I have ever met.
Anandji (my uber driver) : "Hi, how was your day?" (in superbly fluent English)
Me: (slightly stunned) : "I am good, thank you Sir.."
Post a couple of office calls, I settle down for the long ride home
Anandji :"So how long do you think this ecommerce bubble will last? "
Me: (more stunned)" dunno Sir, I have my own issues to worry about than this"
Me: "Sir, what's your deal.. You don't seem to be the average uber driver"
Anandji: "Ohh I am an IIT K graduate from 1986. I was working out of the US and India for the past 30 years and I gave it all up to do my own entrepreneurial stuff. I now have 50 cars plying with Uber and I have a couple of strawberry farms in Mysore"
Me:"So then why are you yourself driving this car around "
Anandji :" Ohh this car met with an accident a few days back and my uber driver died. His family is too proud to take money, so I figured the only way I can help is to drive the car on his behalf and let the income from Uber keep flowing. And I feel happy doing this"
I don't feel ashamed saying I cried a little.."
Once Singh posted this on his Facebook page, people immediately responded to the wonderful life story of the Uber cab driver, till... someone observed the route map of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment